List of Egyptian Americans
This is a list of notable Egyptian Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
To be included in this list, the person must have a Wikipedia article showing they are Egyptian American or must have references showing they are Egyptian American and are notable.
Academia and science
- Mohamed Atalla (1924–2009), inventor of the MOSFET, pioneer in silicon semiconductors and security systems.
- Leila Ahmed (1940–present), professor
- Adel Elmaghraby (1951–present), Winnia Professor of Computer Engineering and Computer Science
- Moeness Amin, Professor and electrical engineer.
- Hassan Aref, physicist who developed the concept of chaotic advection in fluid mechanics.
- Maha Ashour-Abdalla, physics and astronomy professor.
- Ayaad Assaad (1948–present), microbiologist and toxicologist
- Amr El Abbadi, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Farouk El-Baz (1938–present), professor and former NASA scientist who contributed to the Apollo Program.
- Wafik El-Deiry, physician and cancer researcher.
- Khaled Abou El Fadl, law professor, and Islamic studies program chair at University of California, Los Angeles
- Taher Elgamal (1955–present), cryptographer known as the "father of SSL"
- Abbas El Gamal (1950–present), information theorist and entrepreneur. Former Chair of Stanford Electrical Engineering Department.
- Wafaa El-Sadr (1950–present), Professor of Public Health, Columbia University and former MacArthur Foundation Fellow
- Mostafa El-Sayed (1933–present), renowned scientist and university professor
- Hany Farid, Professor of computer science at Dartmouth College, pioneer in Digital forensics (Egyptian)
- Medhat Haroun (1951–2012), expert on earthquake engineering
- Mohamed Hashish (1947–present), mechanical engineer and inventor.
- Ahmed Hassanein, Paul L. Wattelet Distinguished Professor of Nuclear Engineering, director of CMUXE, Purdue University
- Essam Heggy, NASA scientist and Egyptian presidential science adviser
- Saad Eddin Ibrahim (1938–present), sociologist and author
- Mourad Ismail, mathematician working on orthogonal polynomials and special functions.
- Rashad Khalifa (1935–1990), biochemist
- Ahmed Subhy Mansour, Islamic scholar with expertise in Islamic history, culture, theology, and politics.
- Ibrahim Oweiss (1931–present), economist, international economic advisor, and professor
- Rushdi Said (1920–2013), geologist
- Bahgat G. Sammakia, Mechanical engineer and former President of SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Ahmed Sameh, Computer Scientist known for his contributions to parallel algorithms in numerical linear algebra.
- Minouche Shafik, economist and the Director of the London School of Economics.
- Emad Shahin, professor of political science.
- Ahmed Tewfik (1960–present), electrical engineer, professor and college administrator.
- Nabih Youssef, structural engineer
- Ahmed Zewail (1946–2016), Nobel laureate in chemistry.
- Ahmed I. Zayed, mathematician
Arts and entertainment
- Frank Agrama, director, producer and writer.
- Ahmed Ahmed (1970–present), actor and comedian.
- Nessa Diab, radio and TV personality and television host
- Sam Esmail (1977–present), screenwriter, film and television director, and television producer
- Joy Garnett (born 1965), visual artist and writer
- Ronnie Khalil, stand-up comedian
- Asaad Kelada, television director
- Christopher Maher (1955–present), actor and James Beard award recognized chef
- Wendie Malick (1950–present), actress and fashion model, Egyptian paternal grandfather
- Rami Malek (1981–present), Academy Award-winning actor
- Omar Metwally (1974–present), actor
- Jehane Noujaim, documentary film director
- Omar Sharif (1932–2015), actor
- Sammy Sheik (1981–present), actor
- Diane Tuckman (1939–present), Silk artist, author and teacher
- Ramy Youssef (1991–present), Golden Globe-winning actor
- Zeeko Zaki (1990–present), actor and model
- Joe DeRosa (comedian) (1977–present), actor and comedian.
- Ramy Adeeb, founder and CEO of social curation platform Snip.it
- Allen Adham, businessman
- Fadi Chehadé, founder of RosettaNet and former CEO of ICANN.
- Mohamed El-Erian (1958–present), CEO of PIMCO and former president and CEO of the Harvard Management Company
- Rana el Kaliouby (1978–present), co-founder and CEO of Affectiva
- Mo Gawdat, former Chief Business Officer for Google X.
- Emil Michael, former Vice President of Business and Chief Business Officer at Uber.
- Adel Mahmoud (1941–2018), former President of the Vaccine division in Merck and Co.
- Fayez Sarofim, fund manager.
- Saladin Ahmed, comic book and fantasy writer.
- Yussef El Guindi (1960–present), Egyptian-American playwright
- Stephen Adly Guirgis, playwright
- Ihab Hassan, literary theorist and writer.
- Victor Hassine (1956–2008), prison writer
- Marty Makary, medical writer and New York Times bestselling author.
- Matthew Shenoda, poet, writer and professor.
Media and journalism
- Mona Eltahawy (1967–present), freelance journalist
- Hoda Kotb (1964–present), TV news anchor and host
- Ayman Mohyeldin, journalist for NBC News, formerly worked for Al Jazeera and CNN
- Halim El-Dabh, composer, performer, and educator
- Raef Haggag, (1982–present), singer-songwriter
- Kareem Salama, country music singer
- Stephen T. Shippy, (1977–present), a.k.a. Prozak, rapper from Saginaw, Michigan
- Sylvain Sylvain, rock guitarist, member of the New York Dolls.
- Dina Habib Powell (1973–present), philanthropist and multi-administration U.S. official
- Gamal Helal (1954–present), interpreter and diplomat
- Dalia Mogahed (1974–present), scholar and advisor to the U.S. President Barack Obama
- Allan Mansoor, former member of the California State Assembly.
- Alaa Abdelnaby (1968–present), professional basketball player
- Amr Aly, retired soccer forward.
- Ahmed Elmaghraby, Olympic field hockey player.
- Sherif Fayed (31 March 1992–present), American-born Egyptian former footballer, viner, actor and model. As a footballer, he last played for the Belgian club Lierse S.K.
- Sam Khalifa (1963–present), former Major League Baseball player
- Amir Khillah (1979–present), mixed martial artist
- Tarek Morad, soccer player.
- Abdel Nader (1993–present), basketball player for the Phoenix Suns.
- Farida Osman (1995–present), swimmer who competed in 2012 summer Olympics
- Omar Samhan (1988–present), professional basketball player
- Mark Seif (1967–present), two-time World Series of Poker champion and TV show host
- Amanda Sobhy, squash player.
- Shereef Akeel (1965–present), lawyer
- Karine Bakhoum, chef
- Ahmed Ibrahim, the Cupid Cabbie of New York
- Michael Mina (1969–present), award-winning chef and restaurateur
- Norsereddin, fictional “Egyptian” American Indian figuring in late 19th-century local legend in New York's Hudson Valley
- Feisal Abdul Rauf (1948–present), Sufi imam